Mnangagwa skips Davos, returns to get Zimbabwe calm, stable and working again

Zimbabwe is under an internet blackout as authorities extended a communications ban to cover emails, while civilians ventured outside to stock up on food after days of deadly protests over fuel price hikes.

The shutdown faces a court challenge from MISA-Zimbabwe and Zimbabwe Lawyers for Human Rights.

Police say three people died during demonstrations that turned violent in the capital Harare and second city Bulawayo.

"The Zimbabwe Association of Doctors for Human Rights wishes to share with stakeholders critical information on the unfolding human rights crisis in Zimbabwe following the outbreak of violent protests across the country and the ensuing disproportionate response by the State apparatus".

"We don't have verification of the exact number of people who were killed or injured, but there are Doctors' Associations that are putting numbers out there that more than 60 people were treated in hospitals for gunshot wounds", says United Nations human rights spokesperson Ravina Shamdasani.

Zimbabwe's brutal crackdown after recent protests is "just a foretaste of things to come", the presidential spokesman told a state-run newspaper Sunday, as he blamed opposition parties for stoking unrest.

"Once they had rounded all up men in the area, they assaulted us using motorbike chains", one man said of security forces going from house to house.

Eight protestors were killed on Monday in clashes between protestors and the military, caused by rising fuel prices linked to the policies of President Emmerson Mnangagwa.

The main opposition MDC party, which had contested Mnangagwa's narrow election win a year ago in court, "is hoping to influence the worldwide community's view of Zimbabwe".

The government of Zimbabwe has reportedly launched a "total internet shutdown" in the country to silence people protesting about its chaos-stricken economy.

South Africa, where hundreds of thousands of Zimbabweans have fled to seek work over the last 20 years, said Sunday that it was working to assist its neighbour, without giving details.

A magistrate in Zimbabwe says there is reasonable suspicion that a well-known pastor accused of subversion amid nationwide protests committed an offense, and has set another hearing for January 31.

"We call on the Zimbabwean government to respect its constitutional and global legal obligations regarding the right to freedom of expression".

The Right2Know campaign further demanded that Mnangagwa and his government also immediately end the shutdown of the internet.

It was, however, later reported that internet connection was restored in the country on Thursday. Some government workers could no longer pay for public transportation.