Huawei arrest and US-China trade truce, Larry Kudlow weighs in
01:00, Dec 9, 2018
Copyright 2015 All rights reserved. This material can't be published, transferred, copied or redistributed.
If extradited to the US, Meng would face charges of conspiracy to defraud numerous financial institutions, a Canadian court heard on Friday.
Two state-run media outlets in China have come out with blistering attacks on the U.S. related to the arrest in recent days of Huawei's CFO Meng Wanzhou, who faces extradition here, saying the arrest is just a backdoor way for the USA to try to hobble the company.
On Friday, a Canadian court heard the extradition plea, but no decision was reached after almost six hours of arguments and counter-arguments.
David Martin, the attorney representing Meng at the hearing, acknowledged Skycom had been a Huawei subsidiary but said it was sold in 2009. Washington alleges that she covered up Huawei's links to a firm that tried to sell equipment to Iran despite sanctions.
The prosecutor opposed bail, arguing that Meng was a high flight risk with few ties to Vancouver and that her family's wealth would mean than even a multi-million-dollar surety would not weigh heavily should she breach conditions.
McCallum was clear that Chinese consular officials will have access to Meng "just as we seek consular access for detained Canadians around the world, including in China".
Ms Meng's arrest while she was changing planes in Vancouver last Saturday was a serious breach of her rights, Reuters quoted the foreign ministry as saying.
"You can trust her", he said.
Yesterday's court hearing is meant to decide on whether Meng can post bail or if she is a flight risk and should be kept in detention. He alleged Huawei used a Hong Kong-based company called Skycom Tech to do business in Iran for Iranian telecom companies, breaching US and European sanctions, and that Meng led USA financial institutions to believe it had no ties to Skycom when, in fact, the company was a thinly disguised subsidiary.
The executive is the daughter of Huawei's founder.
The 46-year-old executive was arrested in Vancouver while changing planes, ratcheting up tensions between the USA and China just as the countries' leaders agreed to a truce in their trade war.
Meng Wanzhou, 46, joined Huawei as early as 1993, when she began a career at her father's company as a receptionist.
"The Chinese government should seriously mull over the United States tendency to abuse legal procedures to suppress China's high-tech enterprises", said the nationalist tabloid Global Times in an editorial.
The re-imposed sanctions hit oil exports, shipping and banks - all core parts of Iran's economy.
US National Security Adviser John Bolton said his country has had "enormous concerns for years" about the practice of Chinese firms "to use stolen American intellectual property, to engage in forced technology transfers, and to be used as arms of the Chinese government's objectives in terms of information technology in particular".
"If I was an American tech executive, I wouldn't travel to China this week", warned Lewis, who labeled Huawei "one of the Chinese government's pet companies" and charged the communist country's leaders wouldn't be afraid to "take hostages".
Meng entered the courtroom in downtown Vancouver at 10:25 a.m. local time, wearing a green sweatsuit and accompanied by her lawyer.
The United States has 60 days to make a formal extradition request, which a Canadian judge will weigh to determine whether the case against Meng is strong enough.
Bridenstine stated that he had "a number of conversations" with Musk about his actions and erratic behavior over the past year. Russian space agency Roscosmos recently revealed its plans to build up a human colony on the moon with 20 years, by 2040.
The company received billions of dollars in support from the Canadian and Ontario governments after the financial crisis. Co. reported a US$991 million profit during its third quarter, but said tariffs cost the company about US$1 billion.
Ant, 43, who is now on holiday in a secret location with girlfriend Anne-Marie Corbett, 42, is expected to return to TV next year. Declan Donnelly's usual co-host is now taking time out of the limelight following his drink-driving conviction earlier this year.
The combative Portuguese coach also confirmed that United should have no problem when it comes to getting to this home game. I want the team to go immediately and it is a bit frustrating". 'I hope the manager has given them a good rollicking.
As per reports that are doing the rounds, Shruti's wedding will be a two-day affair with sangeet and mehendi functions. Nick's brother Joe Jonas and his fiance Sophie Turner were also seen at the venue wearing traditional Indian outfits.
More than 43,000 absentee ballots have been requested, and that number could increase as final numbers are tabulated. We need to come out tomorrow in such numbers, such strength, marching to the polls like it's a holiday", he said.
Negotiations between OPEC members are fraught, as some feel that Saudi Arabia wields too much clout in setting policy. The uncertainty over possible production cuts caused oil prices to dip on Wednesday as investors wait on a decision.
While he said he would "happily sign" a fair deal that addresses USA concerns, he warned: "remember, I am a Tariff Man". Chinese purchases of the goods collapsed after Beijing imposed tariffs on them in retaliation for USA import taxes.
Qualcomm Announces Snapdragon 855 With 3x AI Performance
The first smartphone with the Snapdragon 855 and a 5G modem should be from Samsung and will be released in the first half of 2019. Qualcomm's Snapdragon platform now powers most high-end Android smartphones, including Samsung's flagship phones .
Michelle Obama's advice to Meghan Markle
The Palace released a rare statement quashing the rumor of the Kate Middleton and Meghan Markle feud according to The Sun . A source said that Kate felt that Meghan was "downright rude" and a "ghastly row" ensued between the women.
Copa Libertadores final off after attack on Boca bus
However, it was later confirmed the game had been suspended until 5pm local time (8pm United Kingdom time) on Sunday. The head of Conmebol's medical team was reported to be assessing if the match could go ahead after the controversy.