Family of Austin bombing suspect 'devastated and broken'

On Wednesday, a contingent of law enforcement officers were seen Wednesday morning at a home in the Austin suburb of Pflugerville.

Since March 2, a series of bombs have caused death and injuries throughout the Austin area of Texas.

Manley warned residents to be cautious since it was not clear whether any more bombs had been left around the city. Since they were dealing with a suspected serial bomber, they wanted backup.

Police have not formally identified the suspect, but he has been named in United States media as Mark Anthony Conditt, aged 23.

After zeroing in on Conditt as the prime suspect, police early Wednesday kept an eye on his vehicle parked at a hotel in Round Rock, about 20 miles north of Austin.

Police were investigating whether the suspect had any accomplices. "It's a little tempered by the fact that the investigation is not over yet", Adler said.

Conditt, who was unemployed, attended Austin Community College's Northridge Campus as a business major from 2010 to 2012, but did not graduate.

"He's thinking of taking some time to figure out what he wants to do.maybe a [religious] mission trip", his mother wrote. He worked at Crux Semiconductor in Austin, the Austin American-Statesman reported.

"She said it was like the equivalent of someone standing in the backyard with a shotgun going off, was how loud that was", Valentine described.

In the blog, he defines himself as "a conservative". Authorities did, however, warn residents to remain vigilant, as it is unclear where the bomber has been for the past 24 hours or whether or not he may have sent additional packages.

One person was injured at a site where an incendiary device was located Tuesday night in Austin, Texas, but the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives said no package bomb was involved and the agency doesn't think the incident is related.

The suspect died inside the vehicle.

They later identified his vehicle and spotted it Wednesday night at a hotel in Round Rock, Texas, a few miles north of Austin.

As they waited for tactical teams to arrive, the vehicle started to drive away and officers pursued it.

While authorities awaited the vehicles' arrival, the suspect drove away from the hole. Another officer opened fire.

Reuters could not confirm the suspect's identity.

"We don't know where this suspect has spent his last 24 hours, and therefore we still need to remain vigilant to ensure that no other packages or devices have been left throughout the community", Austin Police Chief Brian Manley told CNN.

In addition, a second bomb was discovered at a FedEx facility outside of the Austin airport and it was tied to the other bombings that have plagued the area.

The Schertz blast came two days after a bombing wounded two men on Sunday night in a quiet Austin neighbourhood about three miles from the FedEx store.

This was a dramatic denouement to a three-week reign of terror. Officials believe they know the suspect's identity but were waiting for his body to be identified.

In the fourth blast, a device was triggered by a tripwire, injuring two white men in a predominantly white area.

Another crucial factor was the one device that didn't go off. They weren't delivered by the US Postal Service or services such as UPS or FedEx, police say.

Police have not yet disclosed the intent behind the bombings.

In the past 24 to 36 hours, authorities received information that led them to a person of interest, who later became a suspect.

What do we know about the bombings?

In that incident, an employee was injured by two "artillery simulators" in a donation box, said Ely Reyes, Austin's assistant police chief.